Tuesday, September 28, 2010

So long sweet summer

It's officially fall, and I must say I'm loving this crisp weather (minus the rain we had last week). Nothing beats having windows open, enjoying the change in leaves, watching football and breaking out sweaters and boots.

With the end of summer also came the end of my garden for this year. Technically, I still have all my tomato plants in full force and am picking those, but a couple weekends ago I pulled the plug on the green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers and peppers. There were some stragglers still coming through, but not in the same quality or quantity as earlier.

Part of me was sad to see these veggies be done...after all, they had been extremely good to me this season. I can honestly say I hardly felt like vegetables were on my grocery list this summer. They were overly plentiful and did well for this first-time gardener. But the other part of me was ready to be done picking...and after pulling out these now massive plants at season-end with their prickly stems doing a number on my skin as I heave-hoed them out of the ground, it was clear that it was time to be done. Overall, a satisfying and pretty successful season!

Jeremy and I really loved to make fresh salsa (our version of pico de gallo) with the tomatoes, peppers and jalapenos from our garden, and then onions, oodles of seasonings and other random adds. Last weekend we made another batch, and I swear we devour it as soon as we make it. We'll get a few more batches made with all the tomatoes, I'm sure, but it's definitely been a summer fave.



Happy fall!

4 comments:

Erin Wiegratz said...

It really feels like fall has come out of nowhere this year. I swear it was just yesterday that you were dumping massive amounts of zucchini on my counter. It's dangerous to have so much salsa at your fingertips. Kind of jealous that Bibby probably got to sample this on Sunday.

Randi said...

yum!!!!

Heather said...

that looks soooo good Anne!!!!

Mel said...

I love fresh salsa too! That looks amazing!