Thursday, January 27, 2011

You know you live in MN when...

...a date night consists of ice fishing together.



Jeremy and I got a sitter (thank you Grandma and Grandpa Wolff!) and headed over to a nearby lake with the new fish house for a few hours last night. We made grilled cheese sandwiches on the stove top for dinner, shared some Mickey's beer and enjoyed our time together watching rattle reels and tip ups over some good convos.


We didn't exactly do all that great on fish (thankfully we didn't decide that we'd eat what we caught for dinner)...got a lot of little walleyes. We're talking baby walleyes. "See you guys in a few years" kind of walleyes.


But the little ones gave me good practice with pulling them up on the rattle reels. It had been a while since I had been ice fishing, and I was used to the portable/sit on a bucket kind of fishing with old school wooden tip ups. This was quite the change since my childhood U.P. days. I know I mentioned it before, but Jer really did a great job with the fish house. I mean, we were watching a movie, sitting on pillows and bed cushions, and my boots were even off it was so warm and toasty. Not complaining for this cold-blooded body.



Then, when I did one of my routine checks of looking out the window at tip ups, one went off and we finally got a good one.


16 incher


Technically I didn't "catch" it since Jer set it up and pulled it off, but he let me feel like the big winner :)


We had a great date night (minus a plethora of big walleyes) and loved "just the two of us" time. We caught ourselves talking about Ashlynn a lot, but I guess that's what parents do. Picked up our little peanut on the way home and called it a day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a catch (the walleye AND Jeremy)!