Jeremy wasn't able to come to the first appt because they were selling pigs during that time. He wanted to go with me, but I said no worries because I figured the 8 week appt would just be a lot of health history questions, peeing in a cup, blood work and that's about it. We did all of that, but at the end Dr. Larson said it was time to do the ultrasound to see how I was measuring, etc.
I wasn't sure if I would even see much on the screen at 8 weeks, and have heard that sometimes you don't always hear a heartbeat at the first appt, so wasn't going to get too discouraged if there wasn't much to see or hear. Sure enough, the second he turned it on...there was our baby. Clear as can be. As many of you moms know, the thoughts and feelings of seeing your baby for the first time is truly amazing.
Here are our babe's first photos!
The heartbeat was at 158 bpm

View from the top of the head down

Little hand above the forehead - giving a wave to mom and dad

Another profile, feet moving

I went into this appointment thinking I was at 8 weeks. When Dr. Larson went to do the first measurement on the ultrasound, it popped up as measuring 12 weeks 2 days. I'm sure I looked shocked beyond belief. The doc smiled and did another measurement of the head - 11 weeks 6 days. Since the ultrasound trumps all, there was no doubt about it that I was right around 12 weeks. I was dumb founded because I figured I knew my body better, and I also took a pregnancy test mid-April and it was negative. But apparently not uncommom. This probably explains my loss of appetite end of April, reason as to why I felt like I was showing a little more than normal so early and why the baby was looking so much like a baby in the ultrasound already. Crazy, but I guess I just made it through my first trimester without fully realizing it.
Jeremy was pretty bummed to find out that he missed an ultrasound, but we went out for dinner that evening to talk all about the appt and I surprised him with pics of his baby and news that we were further along that we thought. An amazing, memorable day.
2 comments:
Isn't that just amazing...so sweet! Congrats again you guys!!!
PS How crazy to be 4 weeks farther along than you thought...what a surprise!
ha ha..love it! Your baby is tall :)
Post a Comment