Friday, March 18, 2011

Back to the Grind

I've been dreading talking about this moment for a while. It always felt like it was so far in the future, but man did it creep up on me. Today is officially my last day of maternity leave and I head back to work on Monday.

My thoughts are pretty scattered right now. A huge part of me is going to miss my days with Ashlynn. Catching all her smiles, cuddling, sleeping and playing whenever we want, soothing her when she cries, taking probably one too many pictures and videos of her, and watching her grow/change right before my eyes. Not that I won't experience these things with her after work, through the night and on the weekends, but it'll definitely be different. It's hard to think of her sharing those moments elsewhere.

At the same time, we have a wonderful daycare provider so I'm certainly not worried about that. And I know she'll love the interaction with other people and meeting new little friends. Going back to work will also be good for me. I need to learn that clothes do exist beyond sweats and t-shirts, and my hair can be worn in other styles besides a ponytail. It's time to get regular adult interaction and use my "big girl voice" again. I'm ready to be back on a true schedule, and I know this will be good for Ashlynn, too.

So in a way, it's a little bittersweet. I had the most amazing 11 weeks with my little girl. I'm thankful it worked out to have this much time off. It's allowed me to soak up every ounce of her. And while she's been growing, I've been growing as a parent, too. I planned it out to head back part time next week to help with the transition, and then full time the following week to finish out my 12 weeks. Jer will bring her to daycare in the mornings and I'll pick her up after work. Thankfully he'll be doing the drop off...I'm sure I'd be a hot mess that first day.

Today I'm getting a lot of extra cuddling and kisses in with Ashlynn. She probably thinks I'm nuts.




2 comments:

Erin Wiegratz said...

Anne, I miss her. You're going to be a wonderful working mama!

Rose McKinnney said...

Hope the work week is off to a good start.