Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hair on Fire

Yeah, a little dramatic for a blog post title, but you'll soon see why...

My first day back to work last Monday was off to a great start. Got out the door on time, got through a good batch of messages before the Monday morning managers meeting, caught up with a few coworkers and even had a cup of coffee. 10 a.m. rolls around and I sit down with Erin in her office to start transitioning things back. She says, "So I've got this list up on my computer, let's take a look." I'm on the opposite side of her desk facing her, so she tilts the screen towards me and I lean over her desk the rest of the way so we can view the list. Suddenly, Erin starts frantically yelling, "OH MY GOD!" over and over. I looked at her a little confused and startled, having no idea why she was in a panic and running around to my side of the desk.

Then I hear it. A crackling sound right next to my ear. Then I smell it. The most horrible smell ever. My hair was officially on fire. I had leaned over her desk and didn't notice the candle burning and my hair dipped in it. I started patting the side of my shoulder, still a little unsure of what was actually going on, and realized I just put out a flame on the bottom of my hair. I quickly ran to the mirror to make sure I didn't need to spend the rest of the day in a salon. Luckily, it really only singed a few ends (thankfully I don't wear hairspray or we would've been in big, big trouble). And I can't even tell that anything happened to it now, so no big deal really. But apparently Erin said it made a bright flame right away, and apparently burnt hair is the worst smell ever. Doesn't matter that it was only a few strands of hair. It stunk. Bad. I'll take Jeremy's hog barns any day over that.

Once we realized that I didn't go bald or burn down the building, we both laughed until it hurt for about 5 minutes. Keep in mind that I work at an auto dealership, so all the guys passing through our office area were wondering what was going on. Oh no big deal, Anne just lit her hair on fire. Happy first day back at the office.

This confirms that I'm still officially one of the clumsiest, most accident prone people. It also confirms that I'm not supposed to be going back to work yet. Ha, only kidding. Now if only I had a picture of the flame to share...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's totally you, sis. I'm laughing right now. Still. And . . . still laughing.